It’s one thing to upgrade your car’s performance, but it’s a different thing altogether to install the ideal brake system to match such a high performance.
Although it’s fun to throttle up your car till it hits a top speed, if you don’t have a brake powerful enough to halt the car rapidly, then you might find yourself in a difficult situation.
Therefore, if you are driving a beastly vehicle like a Jeep JK, you have enough reason to upgrade your braking system to something more powerful. And to do so, you need to be calm and meticulous so you don’t make mistakes.
After a comprehensive market survey carried out on a wide range of products, we arrived at five (5) reliable options from which you can select your best Big Brake Kit for Jeep JK. But before we introduce these amazing braking alternatives, let’s start by giving you some professional buying guides to help you choose the very best.
Why Should We Upgrade The Braking System Of Our Jeep JK?
Whether you intend to upgrade your braking system or continue with the factory setup, the fact remains that experts generally recommend an upgrade for ultimate performance.
And based on our research on a wide range of products, here are some reasons you want to upgrade Jeep JK Brake Kit:
1. Vibration And Noise
Once the factory-installed brake system starts getting old, you’d certainly experience some sort of noise and vibration. Besides, the new generations of Jeep Wrangler normally feature four-wheel discs and pads that easily wear away.
Now, replacing such a worn-out system with a new one will certainly revitalize your braking system for enhanced performance.
2. Better Stopping Power
Thousands of road accidents happen globally every day, thanks to the poor stopping power of brakes! Sadly, the Jeep Wrangler is not left out of these misfortunes. That’s why you can’t rely on the aging factory brake system of your jeep.
Although the factory-installed brake works well, a new Jeep JK brake kit is highly recommended to guarantee an immediate halt once you match the brake pedal.
Interestingly, every product that we shall be discussing in this Jeep JK big brake kit review is up to the mark in terms of stopping power! Hence, upgrading your older kits with any of them will ensure you’re on the fortunate side of uncertainty.
3. Better Friction And Heat Dissipation
Jeep JK is a very powerful automobile that exerts lots of heat. It’s common to experience this high-temperature performance especially during heavy-duty executions like traveling a rough or hilly road.
Unfortunately, such intense heat, if left unchecked, can destroy the braking system of your jeep! You can avoid this by upgrading the factory brake kit with a braking system that dissipates heat effectively, while also maintaining a healthy level of friction even when driving on the roughest road.
Best Big Brake Kit For Jeep JK Smooth Drive
Over the past few months, we have received tons of requests from our community of Jeep Wrangler users on the best big brake kit for Jeep JK.
These numerous requests prompted us to carry out a comprehensive market survey; hence, we were able to compare different specifications of Jeep Wrangler brake kits. And consequently, we arrived at a list of 5 top products which we recommend you to buy this 2021.
1. Power Stop K2798-36 Z36 Truck & Tow Brake Kit
As the name implies, the Power Stop brand arguably produces the best Jeep Wrangler big brake kit with impressive stopping power, thanks to its cutting edge technology that has every feature required to enhance the braking system of a Jeep JK.
The Power Stop K2798-36 Z36 brake kit is compatible with the 2007-2017 Jeep Wrangler models, including the 2018 Wrangler JK model.
The brake kit is built tough enough to handle complex driving conditions: it can withstand the operational stress of a rough, hilly road, and can tow efficiently. Because the matched component of the kit is built to produce the ideal brake torque needed for an increased wheel diameter or when carrying heavier loads.
- Heat Dissipation: The Brake kit features slotted and drilled rotors that allow for enhanced dissipation of heat to keep the braking system cool.
- Less Noise: The shims are made of high-quality stainless steel with outstanding heat dispersion capacity. As a result, the braking system guarantees adequate stopping power with little or no noise.
- Low Dust: Tired of accumulating dust on your brake pad? Then no worries! Because there’s carbon fiber on the system to reduce dust. Moreover, an on-vehicle third-party test in Los Angeles shows that Z36 has 30% lower dust than the factory-installed brake kit.
- Anti-Corrosion And Rust: The Silver Zinc Dichromate coating behind the wheel is an added advantage against rusting and corrosion.
- Enhanced Power: TheZ36 Power rotors are built with the best G3000 metallurgy that is compatible with original equipment to guarantee greater power stopping, making them the perfect, bolt-on upgrades for your OEM Jeep Wrangler big brake kit.
- Material components ensure maximum stopping ability
- A reduced noise level when braking
- Anti-corrosive properties
- Low dust accumulation
- Adequate heat dissipation
- Ideal for larger wheels and heavier loads.
- The tendency of noise is not fully eliminated.
- A little costlier than the average brake kit.
2. Power Stop K3097 Front Z23 Brake Kit
The K3097 Z23 is another Power Stop product that provides lots of quality. The impressive design of this Jeep Wrangler big brake kit makes a very big difference.
Unlike the Z36, this particular model (Z23) has an increased plastic component on the shims which goes a long way to reduce the squeaky noise. Also, the Z23 maintains certain key similarities to Z36, yet it sells for a better, budget-friendlier price.
- One-Click Break For A Low Price: the package includes cross-drilled and slotted rotors combined with high-performance carbon fiber/ceramic pads. This combination gives you a big-brake feeling for a little price.
- Enhanced Stopping Power: The carbon-fiber ceramic formula, the upgraded hardware, and the overall metallic design of the brake kit offer your Jeep JK an improved stopping power compared to the factory version.
- High-Temperature Rubber Shims For Noise Insulation: The dual-layered, rubberized shim can withstand high temperatures. These rubber shims also reduce the tendency of squeaking or clicking noise.
- Enhanced Cooling Ability And Anti-Rust Properties: This Jeep JK brake kit features high-performance drilled and slotted rotors for maximum cooling. Besides, the zinc-plated rotors look really nice behind the wheels and prevent rust.
- Outstanding braking power
- Rubberized shims for reduced noise
- Easy installation and replacement process
- High value at a lower price.
- Braking might be slower in some car models.
3. R1 Concepts Brake Kit (For 2007-2018 Jeep Wrangler, Wrangler JK)
Talking about the best big brake kit for Jeep JK without mentioning the R1 concepts kit is like talking about breathing without mentioning air.
The R1 Concepts kit is generally built tough to enable you to navigate through rough roads and other harsh situations in grand style. It is typically manufactured for 2007-2018 Jeep Wrangler and Wrangler JK; hence, there won’t be any compatibility issue — so long as you stick to the specified years and models.
- High Durability: The package features 8 ceramic brake pads and 4 Diamond-plated brake rotors that take minimum damage and last longer than the average kit. Also, the diamond coating indicates when the rotors are worn out and need to be replaced.
- Optimal Heat Dissipation: The rotors are precisely drilled to offer optimal heat dissipation and reinforce the durability of the kit. The countersunk also reduces heat stress and cracks.
- Faster Braking: It’s uncommon to see a brake kit with enhanced stopping ability, but it’s even rarer to come across one that brings your jeep to an abrupt halt once the brake pedal is marched. Fortunately, the R1 concept gives you better control of your braking system since it features diamond slotted brake pads that improve grip and bite for faster stopping.
- Build tough for enhanced durability
- Dissipates heat efficiently
- The rotors Indicate when there is a need for replacement.
- Improves faster braking
- Reduces heat stress and cracks
- Prone to dust accumulation
4. Callahan CCK01644 Premium Brake Kit
Callahan is a United States brand but is not the most popular in the United States or Europe. However, that doesn’t change the fact that it’s up with the very best in terms of performance. Plus, you will definitely notice the difference once you install this kit as it eliminates brake dust.
Considering the quality of calipers that guarantee a longer lifespan, coupled with the smooth driving experience you’d experience, it is safe to say that this is the best big brake kit for Jeep JK (2007-2015).
- Superior Performance: The 8 ceramic brake pads provide superior performance. In fact, each pad is formulated to offer 20% more stopping power compared to other products within the same price range. The pads are also noise-free and are proven to accumulate less dust.
- Original Design: Manufactured for Jeep JK 2007-2015, the original design guarantees proper fit and confident braking.
- Thoroughly Inspected Calipers: The calipers and, of course, the entire package is well-inspected for safety and quality. Moreover, the premium quality parts are ready to install once you unseal them from the box: No cleaning required.
- Brand New Components: The remanufactured calipers feature brand new components such as bleeder screws, blushings, seals, springs, and hardware.
- Increased stopping power
- Silent braking
- Well tested by the manufacturer to guarantee high-quality
Calipers are highly durable
- A budget-friendly package
- Offers a one-year manufacturer’s warranty!
- No significant disadvantage.
5. Hart Brakes Jeep Wrangler Kits (Front Rear Black Drill Slot Brake Rotors+Ceramic Brake Pads)
Another remarkable name to mention as far as cost-effectiveness and high performance is concerned is Hart Brakes.
Although the brand hasn’t penetrated the market as many others, it still offers some genuine quality and performance where some products haven’t. Interestingly, the package goes for a reasonable price. That’s why, lately, many Jeep Wrangler users are turning to Hart Brakes for their braking solutions. And they’ve not been disappointed — if the positive reviews are anything to go by.
- Slotted And Drilled Rotors: Just like every high-performing Jeep Wrangler big brake kit, this product features precisely slotted and drilled rotors that enhance durability, stopping power, and overall performance. These cross-drilled rotors also improve ventilation and accordingly reduce overheating.
- Black Zinc Coating: The rotors are also coated with black zinc to reduce the chances of rust, and hence to improve the lifespan of the rotors and the brake kit in general.
- High-quality Ceramic Brake Pads: Hart Brakes kit also features wear-resistant ceramic brake pads that are 100% scorched for easy bed-in, and 100% shimmed to reduce noise and vibration. Besides, Ceramic, being a reliable heat insulator, enables the pads to operate optimally under high temperatures with stable friction. The brake pad formula is also 100% asbestos-free.
- Stainless Hardware: The hardware is made of high-quality stainless to resist the damages of heat and corrosion. Moreover, the chances of noise and vibration are greatly curtailed.
- Highly durable materials that are resistant to rust, wear, and heat.
- Low Noise
- High-performance rotors
- Increased stopping power
- The best budget price for high value.
- No significant disadvantage.
How To Select The Best Big Brake Kit For Jeep JK
It is wrong to conclude that you can upgrade your braking system with just any random Jeep JK brake kit. This is because there are lots of substandard products available today; some of which are marketed even by popular brands. Such low-quality brake kits can cause severe damage instead of resolving any issue.
For that reason, you need to key in as we provide you with some professional tips on how to select the best big brake kit for Jeep JK.
The most important thing to consider in a brake kit is the material with which it’s made. This is because the material determines the level of friction and power the braking pad can generate.
The material needs to be tough so it can deal with severe pressure and high temperatures.
That’s why experts mostly recommend ceramic material for making Jeep JK brake pads. Because ceramics offer a high level of resistance to heat and can stand the test of time as well.
Another reliable material is stainless steel since it works more smoothly than many other alternatives.
The Quality Of Rotors
If you are driving a sophisticated vehicle like a Jeep Wrangler, one important factor to consider before buying any brake kit is the quality of rotors.
You have to consider what the rotors are made of and how they are constructed. For instance, we often recommend those models that are drilled and slotted properly for optimal temperature regulation.
Again, ensure to go for those rotors with some kind of coating that enhances performance and resists corrosion, rust, dirt, dust, and other contaminants.
The Quality Of Shim
The shim is a thin rubber adhesive pad that fits between the brake caliper and the brake pad to correct the minor differences in alignment and minimize noise and vibration. Although some shims are made of metallic materials, nowadays, most of them are made of plastics.
Some shims are of a single layer; however, we suggest you go for those that are multiple-layered since they perform better and last longer.
Of course, your budget is the most fundamental thing to consider when heading to the market to buy any product and not just a brake kit.
Getting the best big brake kit for Jeep JK is not all about the money. After all, some cheaper products tend to offer more value than the more expensive ones.
You can go as low as $500 or as high as $2000. But the most important thing is to buy a product that is most compatible with the model of your Jeep Wrangler without necessarily stretching your budget beyond limits.
Fortunately, in this Jeep JK big brake kit review, we shall be highlighting lots of varieties that cover a wide budget range to help you choose the most value-laden option for your jeep model.
We understand how complicated it is for most users to select the best big brake kit for Jeep JK. That’s why we narrowed down the options to this very point.
Now, based on the buying guide we provided earlier, we have selected 3 products: The first is our editor’s choice, the second is the premium value, while the third is the budget value.
Our editor’s choice is Power Stop K3097 Front Z23 Brake Kit because it features all the qualities of a top-performing Jeep JK brake kit and comes at a decent price. However, if you intend to pay a little more for additional value, you can go for Power Stop K2798-36 Z36 Truck & Tow Brake Kit which is our choice for premium value.
On the other hand, if you want to upgrade your factory-installed Jeep Wrangler big brake kit for a budget-friendly price while maintaining durability, quality, and performance, then we recommend Hart Brakes Jeep Wrangler Kits (our budget value).
Finally, if a warranty is necessary to convince you of the ideal quality, then you should probably go for Callahan CCK01644 Premium Brake Kit which offers a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty.
Hope you find this Jeep JK big brake kit review helpful?
Good luck and safe driving.
FAQs About The Best Big Brake Kit for Jeep JK
1. Are Big Brake Kits Worth It?
The main difference between an OEM brake kit and a Big Brake Kit (BBK) is stopping power. Big brake kits simply offer more stopping power than the stock or factory-installed (OEM) kits, thanks to their larger size and their pads that offer stronger grips. This sort of performance guarantees a reduced stopping distance. Hence, the simple answer is YES: Big Brake Kits are surely worth it.
2. Are Ceramic Brake Pads Better?
Ceramic brake pads offer more durability than semi-metallic brake pads. They also offer a reliable service life as they are more resistant to heat, guarantee reduced noise, and ensure less tear and wear to the rotors, while still maintaining tip-top performance.
3. What Are the Best Brake Pads for Jeep Wrangler?
The best brake pad for a Jeep Wrangler depends on your specific need as a car user; however, if you crave to improve stopping power, then the Power Stop brake kit should do the math’s. Other reliable brands include Hart Brakes, Callahan, and R1 Concepts.
4. How Long Do Drake Pads Last on a Jeep Wrangler?
How long brake pads last depends on the quality of the brand and your driving habits. Nonetheless, the average Jeep Wrangler brake pad can last between 30,000 and 70,000 miles.