Ever wondered why you’d wake up in the morning to start your car and it wouldn’t ignite, even when the car was in perfect shape the previous night?
You might easily attribute such a malfunction to engine failure or carburetor issue. But the truth is that something as little as a bad spark plug can frustrate you.
Of course, you’d agree that every car owner truly dislikes hard starting: nothing can be more embarrassing. Especially if you own a modern car like Mustang V6, only for the car to keep disappointing whenever you come calling! That’s why you surely need the best spark plugs for Mustang V6 to keep the engine in tip-top shape.
Fortunately, on this page, we’ll be providing you with some vital buying guides and product reviews so you can make the best possible choice too. Shall we?
What Is A Spark Plug; What Is It Used For?
Automobiles generally function as a result of chemical, mechanical, and electrical energy conversions. But all these conversation processes begin from a point called “ignition”.
The spark plug plays an important role in the ignition of a car by providing the required spark. But that’s not the only function: it also acts as a heat-exchanging agent by getting rid of the extra heat, thereby keeping the engine cool. Another important role it plays is mileage efficiency and overall stable performance of the car.
Thus, the importance of spark plugs in a vehicle simply can’t be downplayed. That’s why experts refer to them as the heart of the engine. Because there is no way a modern engine can start without spark plugs. Of course, when the engine doesn’t start, the entire car is as good as nothing. Therefore, it’s safe to say that the engine is the heart of a car, while a spark plug is the heart of the engine.
Why Does Your Mustang V6 Need The Best Spark Plug?
The simplest reason your Mustang V6 needs the best spark plug is that it has a supercharged engine!
A supercharged engine is an air compressor that boosts the pressure of air that is delivered to the internal combustion engine. In other words, superchargers use air to boost power; accordingly, over-boosting the supercharger will blast hot air into the engine and can damage it! For that reason, you need the best spark plugs for supercharged engines like Mustang V6 to absorb, disperse, and reduce the extra heat.
Best Spark Plugs for Mustang V6 Reviews
To narrow down your options, here are our top reviews for the finest V6 Mustang Spark Plugs;
1- Bosch Automotive 9660 Double Iridium Spark Plug
Bosch is a German company that has been in operation since 1902! So, as you would expect, the brand has made a lot of good impressions for itself over the years when it comes to Spark Plug production. For that reason, Original Equipment Manufacturers and automobile users worldwide trust the brand immensely.
Now, if you’ve always trusted Bosch products, then the 9660 Double Iridium Spark Plug is another model that will surely meet your demands, as long as you seek one of the Best Spark Plugs For V6 Mustang.
Some of the key features that will impress you about this product are;
- Double Iridium; The firing pin features a dedicated double iridium metal that measures the standard 0.6mm to guarantee high ignitability. Moreover, the 360° continuous laser welding creates a solid base. Consequently, you can be assured of effective and satisfactory service life.
- Durability; Compared to the standard spark plugs in the market, Bosch Double Iridium performs 4x longer with up to 7 years life span.
- Nickel Plating; the external shell is made of high-quality materials including porcelain and metal. Interestingly, the majority of the metal content is nickel, which has additional cold-rolled threads to ensure resistance to corrosion and seizing.
Despite these amazing qualities, the only downside of Bosch 9660 is that over the years, unauthorized dealers have been flooding the market with lots of substandard varieties, which is why you have to ensure you are buying from the right source.
- High reliable sparks on ignition
- Excellent transfer of heat
- Requires lower voltage
- Highly durable
- Zero flashovers (thanks to the ribbed insulator design).
- Gaps seem different
- Prone to imitation
2- New NGK 3403 G-Power Platinum Alloy Spark Plug TR55GP
NGK has been a US-based brand and a world-leading manufacturer of spark plugs since 1936. The contribution of NGK to the automobile world is most pronounced with the New 3403 G-power Platinum Alloy Spark plug that boasts of the following features:
- Versatile Usage; NGK 3403 is quite versatile as it fits into most 1991-2008 engines. This will save you from a prolonged search for the best spark plugs for supercharged engines since the product is widely applicable.
- Durable Materials; The plug is made of platinum alloy — a very durable metal — coupled with porcelain ceramics on the outside. Although ceramics are not the toughest materials, they are still fairly durable. However, a combination of platinum alloy and porcelain ceramics guarantees high durability.
- Supporting Electrode; The spark plug has two electrodes that initiate the sparking mechanism. These electrodes have a solid metal core that generates high conductivity. This results in an extended energized power to trigger the ignition. Thus, its output will always save you from hard starting. That’s why it’s safe to say that NGK 3403 is one of the best spark plugs for supercharged engines.
- Long-lasting materials stand the test of time.
- Comes in an eight-in-one pack.
- Made ready for easy installation
- Highly versatile
- Accurate fittings
- Ceramics are not the strongest materials and could crack more easily.
3- NGK 3951 V-Power Spark Plug – TR-55
NGK 3951 V-Power is another NGK spark plug that will fit well in your supercharged engine. This particular model offers some unique features that will certainly boost the output of your engine.
The NGK V-power is the ideal option if you own a 1998-2004 or 2008-2010 Mustang V6. It’s also an excellent alternative if you want to replace the old under-performing spark plugs, or if you simply want to upgrade to a high-performing option that will generate more sparks, encourage fast ignition, dissipate heat, save more fuel, and reduce emissions.
Here are some other features you’d like about this product.
- V-Groove Technology: The V-groove is strategically positioned at the tip of the center electrode.This makes it easier for the spark to ignite the air and fuel mixture at the rim of the electrode. Also, the V-groove technology ensures the overall voltage necessary for the production of sparks is reduced. As a result, ignitability is greatly improved.
- Heat Dissipation: The 98% high-quality copper material provides enormous conduction and dissipation of heat. This works to reduce overheating, keep the engine safe, and guarantee a longer operational lifespan.
- Reliable Performance: Most importantly, the spark plug is designed in such a way that it prevents combustion gas leaks and promotes fuel economy. The design also lowers emissions and resists carbon build-up, thereby ensuring reliable performance.
Overall, NGK 3591 is one of the best V6 Mustang Spark Plugs and should be a good option if you want a standard upgrade for a minimal price.
- A good price for high quality.
- High performance
- Efficient heat dissipation
- No significant disadvantage.
4- NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs TR55IX # 7164
NGK Iridium IX is one of the Spark Plugs for V6 Mustang that we recommend not only for V6 owners but all other cars with supercharged engines.
Just as other NGK models, this product is ideal if you want to change your car’s factory plugs or perhaps upgrade your older plugs for better performance.
Some reasons you want to consider this product:
- Improved Fuel Economy: the design is targeted at reducing the rate of fuel consumption.
- High Ignitability: the iridium tip produces adequate sparks to boost ignition. That is to say, with this spark plug, the chances of hard starting are reduced to almost zero.
- High performance: NGK Iridium IX is one of those Spark Plugs For V6 Mustang that offer additional horsepower with higher torque.
- Anti-corrosive: Thespark plug also features some trivalent metal plating that works against corrosion and improves durability.
To cap it off, the package contains 6 pieces of quality spark plugs and comes at an affordable price.
- Increased performance
- Anti-corrosive and durable.
- Zero hard-starting
- Improved fuel economy.
- No significant disadvantage.
5- Motorcraft SP-520 Spark Plug
Talking about the best spark plugs for supercharged engines without mentioning Motorcraft SP-520 will be an upset. Especially when you consider the vast functionalities that the product offers.
Motorcraft is a US-based company that specializes in the manufacture of automobile parts. Their products are OEM-approved for Ford and Lincoln engines. Matter of fact, Motorcraft company employs the original manufacturers of Ford and Lincoln to produce its automobile parts. This implies that Motorcraft products are as genuine as the original (factory) parts of your Ford Mustang V6 car since they are produced by the same people. Fortunately, the Motorcraft SP-520 spark plug is not an exception to this originality.
Some key features to look forward to:
- Improved Electrode: The Motorcraft SP-520 spark plug is designed to improve electrode wear more than the single platinum plug ever can. This is because the center electrode is boosted with iridium for enhanced durability and wear resistance.
- Double Platinum: The quantity of platinum on this product is 2 or even 3 times higher than the single platinum.
- Resistance To Platinum Erosion and Fouling: the cylindrical shape of the item reduces the required firing voltage. As a result, platinum erosion and fouling are grossly curtailed.
Due to these enormous features highlighted above, the Motorcraft SP-520 spark plug can offer up to 100,000 miles of efficient service before requiring any change. This is obviously more than you can get from some of the best spark plugs for Mustang V6.
- Original Spark Plug directly from Ford
- High performance
- Resists corrosion and wears
- Doesn’t fit well in 3.5 EcoBoost and other related engines.
How To Choose The Best Spark Plugs For Mustang V6
The markets today are flooded with lots of spark plugs with different features and qualities. These varying features/qualities go a long way to determine how suitable a particular product is for your car. Of course, some products — based on their features — are simply not good enough! In fact, an inappropriate spark plug will add more problems to your engine instead of fixing any! That’s why we are here to help you avoid such issues.
With that being said, let’s proceed and explore some of the important features that make up the best spark plugs for Mustang V6.
Although different spark plugs are made of different materials, just 3 materials are mostly recommended for your Mustang V6. They include iridium, platinum, and nickel-copper.
You will have to consider if the brand of spark plug you want to buy is made of any of these materials. And to find out, you either need to go through the manual or visit the brand website.
Compatibility is another key factor to consider. Check out if the spark plug fits well into the port.
Sure, some plugs fit better in some engine models than others. So you have to consider your car’s system and specifications and ensure the product you want to buy is ideal for it.
As always, you have to go through your manual to know your car’s specifications and what plugs exactly you are required to buy.
Spark plugs are generally made of an insulated center electrode connected to the ignition coil by a heavily insulated wire.
The role of this center electrode when it comes to your car’s ignition cannot be overemphasized. Therefore, you have to check the electrode details closely and evaluate the benefits before deciding on what product to buy.
Getting a new spark plug might cause an initial response issue. It’s kind of normal, so you shouldn’t worry about it. However, some products are more prone to such problems that might even linger for so long.
That’s why you should examine the response rate of the spark plug to ascertain how it measures up to your car’s system.
You can achieve this by visiting a dealer who would provide you with some sample plugs to test drive with.
Spark plugs release sparking energy which can increase the internal temperature of the engine. If the temperature keeps rising without any form of heat transfer, it could result in some damages. Unless, of course, the spark plug can dissipate heat efficiently!
Hence, you should always find out how effective the spark plug is in terms of heat dissipation before making any purchase. Always pay attention to the right operating temperature range.
The United States, Germany, and other European countries are renowned for producing and exporting high-quality spark plugs. But countries like China are infamous for imitating the original brands, thereby flooding the market with substandard products.
To be on the safer side, you have to buy from a trusted dealer who imports from reputable countries and sells the best spark plugs for supercharged engines. To be sure about the seller, look out for the customer reviews on their products and services.
Having gone through all the products reviewed above, you will agree with us that each of them plays certain vital roles that make it a good option to consider. That’s why picking only one as the overall best is quite complicated.
However, based on the factors we already discussed in the buying guides, the best spark plugs for Mustang V6 should be able to generate sparks and trigger ignition faster, while also dissipating extra heat to prevent overheating. It should also be made of durable materials like platinum alloy. And should fit into the original equipment while also maintaining genuine compatibility with a wide range of engine models. Above all, it should be affordable and should offer real value for the money it costs. That’s why we recommend the New NGK 3403 G-power Platinum Alloy Spark plug. Because it features all these important qualities.
Nonetheless, if you crave premium performance and are willing to spend a little more for outstanding quality, then you should consider going for Bosch Automotive 9660 Double Iridium OE Replacement Spark Plug.
For budget buyers, we recommend NGK 3951 V-Power Spark Plug. Because apart from the good performance level that it boasts, it also features the standard OEM-friendly qualities at the right price!
Overall, apart from our recommendations, you can always feel free to choose any of the products reviewed above, depending on the specific features you prefer.
As always: best of luck.
FAQs: Frequently Ask Questions About The Best Spark Plugs for Mustang V6
1. Does Iridium spark plugs make a difference?
Iridium is a very hard silvery-white transition metal that belongs to the platinum group. It is said to be 6 times harder and 8 times stronger than the normal platinum metal, with a melting point that is over 700° higher.
Iridium spark plugs have very fine electrodes, are resistant to wear, and are 25% more durable than the normal platinum spark plugs out there. So, long story short, the simple answer is YES! Iridium spark plugs surely make a difference.
2. Does Iridium spark plugs boost horsepower?
Iridium spark plugs offer better combustion, reduce emission, improve fuel economy, and most importantly boost horsepower.
3. Which is better: Iridium or Copper spark plugs?
It wholly depends on what you need.
Copper spark plugs outperform Iridium; however, Iridium spark plugs are more durable with up to 100,000 miles of operational capability.
4. How many spark plugs does a Mustang V6 engine have?
A Mustang V6 engine is designed to have a single-spark technology. Hence, it has one plug for each of the 6 cylinders — making it 6 plugs in total.